KoG News
Paltalk user Shishier died in Car Accident

It is our biggest sorrow to inform that, our fellow PalTalk user, Farhana Ali (Shishier) has died Saturday, October 8th in an unfortunate car accident. Coming home from a Ramadan dinner celebrating family togetherness, her vehicle collided with a drunken driver's car. We mourn for this loss and pray for her soul.

Below is a report from NewsDay.com. To access the news, click here.

A 23-year-old Bay Shore woman and her aunt were killed Saturday night on their way home from a Ramadan dinner celebrating family togetherness when their vehicle collided with a drunken driver's, Suffolk County police said.

Farhana Ali, 23, and Hafeza Reza, 43, were pronounced dead early Sunday morning. Ali suffered internal injuries and Reza died from severe head injuries, police said. The driver of the family's car, Mohammad Ali, 56, his wife, Shamsun Ali, 49, and his younger daughter, Farzana Ali, 20, were taken to local hospitals with serious injuries. Shamsun and Farzana Ali remained in critical condition last night.

The driver of the other car, Willie Ellis, 33, of Brentwood, was charged with one count of driving while intoxicated. Bail was set at $50,000 cash and $100,000 bond. Ellis, who refused a Breathalyzer test at the scene, was being held by the county sheriff's department, officials said.

Yesterday, grief-stricken members of the Ali family gathered at Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip, just one day after enjoying a dinner in celebration of the monthlong Muslim holiday in which Muslims examine their lives in the light of spiritual ideals, with a focus on family.

"It's just a disaster," said Habiba Hoque of Centereach, Mohammad Ali's sister. "I don't know what's going to happen to them."

The family, residents of Bay Shore since coming to the United States from Bangladesh in 2002, had gathered Saturday night at a relative's house in the neighborhood. They spent the evening eating, praying and talking. Hoque recalled chatting with her nieces, both students at Stony Brook University, about the challenges of balancing school and work. Farhana Ali worked at Macy's in addition to being a full-time student. At Stony Brook, she studied science and her sister, Farzana, is studying medicine. They both also worked as math teaching assistants at the university, Hoque said.

At about 11 p.m. everyone began to leave, Hoque said. Reza decided to ride with the Ali family because the other cars were full. She had just come to Bay Shore from Bangladesh two months ago with two of her five children. "She came to give her children a higher education," said Abu Hoque, Reza's brother. Reza's husband stayed in Bangladesh with the other children, he said.

The five got into the Alis' 1999 Toyota Corolla to make the one-mile trip home. At the intersection of Brentwood Road and Oakwood Boulevard, Ellis, heading westbound in a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix, collided with Ali's car, driving northbound. Police said an investigation was continuing and that wet roads may have contributed to the accident. Ellis was treated at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore for minor injuries. Results of a court-ordered blood test are pending, police said.

Habiba Hoque said she knew something was wrong when, within a half hour of the group's departure, she got a call from her brother-in-law with whom Reza was staying. She had not yet made it home. "I thought maybe they had car problems," Hoque said. But after about an hour, they began calling nearby hospitals.

Neighbors at the apartment complex in Bay Shore where the Ali family live described them as a quiet, nice family. Shamsun Ali worked as an electrical technician in Deer Park. Mohammad Ali, an engineer at the Stony Brook University power plant, would take evening walks in the courtyard of the apartment complex, said one neighbor, Lubna Qureshi.

Yesterday, Shamsun and Farzana Ali were unable to respond to visiting family members. Mohammad Ali, who was in stable condition, told his sister that he knew his daughter had died. "He told me to go home to take care of [funeral arrangements for] his daughter," Habiba Hoque said, "My eyes are dry. I cried all night and all day. I can't cry anymore."

Updated on 2005-10-11